Topic: CadStar files

CadStar files
We use Zuken Cadstar - it appears to output files with *.spl extension and *.rep. I was told that these are the Gerber outputs for designs in Cadstar (and they look Gerber files when I open them with a text editor). Could you confirm that these the files to send for pcb production ?
10/12/2001 14:24:19
Alan Webster
Re: CadStar files
: We use Zuken Cadstar - it appears to output files with *.spl extension and *.rep. I was told that these are the Gerber outputs for designs in Cadstar (and they look Gerber files when I open them with a text editor). Could you confirm that these the files to send for pcb production ?

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your interest in Beta LAYOUT and the
PCB-POOL(R)!
With respect to the *.spl files this is Gerber format (RS274 D) and the *.rep file is a separate aperture list for each file. You may find it a little easier if your Zuken Cadstar can extract Extended Gerber files (RS274 X). The apertures are embedded in the file, and you simply read one file per layer into GC-PREVUE.
We do not accept Gerber files directly, when we do, there is a charge of ? 29.00 for manipulation. We ask our customers to create a *.GWK file, you can download GC-PREVUE from our website:
http://www.pcb-pool.com/html_uk/uk_service_1.htm
We recommend version 7, its easier to work with.
From here you can read in your drill and Gerber files and send us the resulting *.GWK file.
One of the reasons our PCB-POOL(R) Prototype prices are so competitive is that we endeavor to keep our CAM costs to a minimum. Should you experience any difficulties using this software for the first time, please contact us by telephone and we will happily guide you through the process.
Once again we thank you and should you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to contact us.
All the Best
Your Beta LAYOUT Team
12/12/2001 12:26:32
Beta LAYOUT GmbH Service Team